Baker Mayfield’s journey marked with bravado, humility and one big leap of faith

NEW ORLEANS — Less than a week after Oklahoma defeated Alabama in the 2014 Sugar Bowl, Baker Mayfield packed up his things in his home near Austin, Texas, to pursue a life-long dream of being the Sooners’ starting quarterback. The trek from Austin to Norman…

‘We didn’t have the option to say yes or no’: OU student reflects on underground world of sex trafficking

Drifting in and out of consciousness, Anthony Palmer remembered few of the 12 hours before waking up at home on a dingy mattress lying on the floor. Sore and feeling the stark aftereffects of an amphetamine high, he was impervious to the mountains of trash,…

Five years sober: OU student reflects on past substance abuse, offers personal help to others

Dylan Williamson is an OU student finishing a pursuit he began eight years ago before addiction derailed him. He’s picking up where he left off but a bit older, more experienced and, he hopes, wiser. Now 27 years old, the chemical engineering junior came to…

Sherri Coale has built the Sooners into a contender by remaining true to her self

It was a freezing fall day in Norman, Oklahoma, in 1995, and Sherri Coale, the women’s basketball coach for the Norman High School Lady Tigers, found herself inside a stuffy basketball gym, packed with too many bodies for one coach to realistically handle. One of…

OU student pursues teaching career despite harsh Oklahoma economy

It took a small crisis and one night spent lying awake in bed for education junior EJ Parker to realize his true passion and pursue teaching high school history in Oklahoma. His mom initially told him that he was wasting his time when she found…

OU students struggling financially strive to succeed in school on empty stomachs

It’s 11 a.m., and she can already feel her stomach grumbling. Joelle Glimp, a social work and professional writing junior, has skipped breakfast. Again. As usual, her food for the day consists of either a small peanut butter sandwich or some pasta she made herself….

New sexual assault research not acknowledged by OU administrators

For months, OU’s highest administrative offices have not responded to new research on sexual misconduct on the Norman campus. In April 2016, a report detailing the findings of the research — including that 19 percent of 823 OU students surveyed said they had been sexually assaulted…

Oklahoma football: How SAE fueled an OU turnaround

The squish-squash of shoes on wet pavement and the sound of steady rain were all that could be heard as the 105 members of OU’s football team marched arm-in-arm into their indoor practice facility March 9, 2015. Joined by Bob Stoops, assistant coaches and athletic…

OU students suffer from lack of mental health resources

Editor’s Note: The name Stacy Marks is a pseudonym used to preserve the student’s anonymity. Trigger Warning: This story contains content regarding suicide. When English and women and gender studies sophomore Stacy Marks came to OU, she thought she would be okay. A National Merit…